Restoring Exhaust

From: Horrocks, Aaron (ACHb@pge.com)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 08:32:12 PST

Hi MV Guys...

The Story:
I'm still working on getting all the civilian parts out of my M38A1. Time
for the exhaust! When I bought the jeep she didn't have a muffler (or an
engine...) but the exhaust pipe was still there, rusty and dinged a bit, but
it was the military three bolt style.

When I got an engine dropped in, many things came with it, like the exhaust
system, which was one of the things that were made of a mix of mil &
civilian parts.

The Questions:
So I have the exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifold to the muffler sitting
out of the jeep. It's rusty and a little bit banged up. How do I restore it?
Should I use some kroil and remove the bolts to take the sections apart?
Where do I get replacement gaskets OR what material do I use to make my own?
Can I sand down the metal and paint it with heat resistant engine paint?
What color?

Aaron Horrocks
1952 M38A1