Re: [MV] Any advice would be appreciated...

From: Nathan Wilkens (nathan.wilkens@asu.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 18:55:07 PST

Mark,
An interesting dilemma that I suspect many people of have gone through... I
think I may be able to offer some insight. My wife was anything but happy
when I told her I "accidentally" bidded on a CUCV and won it, and I would
have to fly across the country to drive it 2000 miles home. She was even
less happy when I pulled into the driveway after a 29 hour marathon drive
and left a rapidly growing puddle of engine oil, transmission fluid, and
diesel fuel on the ground (I "accidentally" won it because it was so messed
up). Now, a year (and a dent out of my 401K) later, our M1009 has been
repaired and taken us all over the south west, from the ocean to 11000 feet,
from 115 degree desert (I still wish I had AC; maybe sometime down the road)
to -15 blizzards. And I should add, being a geologist, it is truly the
ultimate 'status vehicle' - so much that my wife is now going back to school
to become geologist as well... but that's another story!

Anyway, here are some tips that might be useful:

First, start small - either in time or money (whichever you have less of).
If it starts as just a (relatively) small hobby for you, she'll be far more
willing to accept it.

Second, most wives will be unhappy if you get a big piece of OD to clutter
up the driveway. If you have a good place to store your project - great!
Otherwise, again consider a smaller vehicle.

Third, ALL wives will be unhappy if it doesn't work... The clock is ticking
as soon as it comes home... The longer it remains in an undriveable
condition, the more grief you will hear. So, buy something that requires
little work to get going (and keep going) and you will be the "master manly
mechanic" of your castle..

Fourth, make your project extra cool, even if she disagrees... "Gee honey,
look what came in the mail... since I have it, I'd best put it on my MV". I
put a pair of AS1709 antennas (complete with guards and everything) on my
M1009, greatly increasing the 'cool factor'.

Fifth, there is the obvious issue of safety. I live in the metro Phoenix AZ
area, where people drive stupid! My wife loves our CUCV because now she
feels safe when we drive around. The bigger the truck (in this case) the
better. Now her only wish is for an armored vehicle (M3 Scout Car or BTR40)
to make even super-sized soccer-mom SUVs cringe.

Finally, women may seem unpredictable, but on certain issues, they are
completely predictable. Bribe her. Bribe her well. Maybe a nice piece of
jewelry, or a new ride for her?

Hope this helps you out,
Nathan Wilkens