different size shear pin question, M35 winch.....

From: Ken Boge (ken@clovermachine.com)
Date: Sun Nov 03 2002 - 11:45:16 PST

My $0.02 worth regarding shear pins:

The standard shear pin for the front winch on a M35 is P/N 7538740. It is
9/32 diameter by 2-3/8 inches long. Without a copy of the drawing for this
part it is not possible for me to tell what alloy of aluminum it is made
from. But looking through some catalogs for aluminum mill products, I
would guess that it is 2011-T3 which has a shear strength of 32,000 psi (the
only alloy commonly available in 9/32 diameter). Much of the aluminum sold
in hardware stores is alloy 6063-T3 commonly used for ornamental
applications. It has a shear strength of about 17,000 psi and is not
usually available in 9/32 diameter. Using this in 1/4 inch diameter in
place of the standard shear pin would result in a shear strength of less
than half.
Bear in mind that my original supposition that the standard shear pin is
made from 2011-T3 aluminum is based solely upon its common availability in
9/32 diameter. This does not preclude obtaining other alloys in this size
on special order.
If anyone wants to persue this matter, I would suggest calling Garwood and
speaking to an engineer familiar with these winches.

Ken