M37 Rough runner

From: Jeff & Hanna (ditch68@bytehead.com)
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 12:39:26 PST

Hello all,

This is my first posting on this forum, I have rcently aquired my first MV,
a 1953 M37 w/o w. All is mostly well, but I am experiencing a , (I think),
fuel related problem.

When starting and idling, 1/4 choke is great, runs very smoothly, but when
moving out the engine stumbles and is hesitant in higher RPMs unless the
choke is pulled out to very near full position, even when quite warm. I
cleaned a ridiculous amount (1/4 cup!) of sludge of the rusty variety from
the fuel filter and reassembled, and this seemed to improve the situation,
but that is probably not directly related, just better fuel supply. Drained
fuel tank.

Recently cleaned plugs with sandblaster (truck barely ran before that in
higher RPM), air cleaner is dirty (don't know how to go about cleaning it
yet), distributor is recently rebuilt, looked for vacuum leaks all around
carb area w/gumout, no luck.Also checked for vac. leak at wiper motors.
Truck sat for some time before I owned it, (years?) carb could probably use
rebuild. I am unfamiliar with these trucks, but they sure seem mechanically
simple, I just figure I'm missing something obvious.

Thank you all in advance,

Jeff Diederichs.