Re: [MV] starting dormant MV's

From: Paul A. Thomas (bluewhale@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Sun Nov 10 2002 - 18:47:34 PST

> If you turn the motor up, or start it, you just circulate all this crud,
and moisture

I was wondering about that; water condensation over a few years inside the
crankcase and what effect that might have on the oil, especially in a 50
year old engine.

The Lube Order in TM 9-8022 calls for 9 quarts of OE 30 for the engine.

I don't mean to start a discussion, but most mechanics I know say put
whatever you want in the engine, even to the point of mixing single weight
oil with (?) dual weight ( 10-40 for instance ), which I was brought up to
believe would cause the sun and moon to drop from the sky.

Is there any consensus on whether a specific oil should be used in a 50
year old gasser? ( ' Consensus ' as in not just reading the LO <g> )

Thanks to all for the thoughts this past week. I'm currently searching for
Nitroglycerin to help with the retaining wall holes. I promise to post a
few pictures once the truck is properly parked and covered presuming I
don't blow my PC up along with the clay.

Paul

Hmm: If I DO manage to blow something up it sure is handy having a fire
truck on site !

<g,d,rlh>