Re: [MV] Split braking system; some considerations.

From: GOTAM35 (gotam35@sc.rr.com)
Date: Wed Nov 13 2002 - 06:31:53 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bjorn Brandstedt" <super_deuce@hotmail.com>

> Question: Has anyone tested the hand brake at any speed other than for
> parking? How good is it at slowing the vehicle in case of service brake
> failure?
> Also, has anyone ever experienced total brake loss with the deuce?

I so glad someone has raised these points. I am very cautious about messing
with brakes. I've learned to obey the "if it's not broke, don't fix it"
theory.

As for parking brakes at road speed, I've used them. I posted part of that
story some months back, but in a nut shell, they worked great.

I was bring my truck home after the purchase and found I had very little
brakes. In fact as I look back I really had no brakes. I was able to stop
most of the time because it takes energy to move a mass up a hill, so most
of the stopping I did was on a slight upgrade.

As I approached a very sharp exit on I-20 in Columbia, SC, I was moving
probably 50 mph down hill and the brakes where not slowing the vehicle. I
quickly grabbed the park brake and pulled with all I had. I actually was
thrown forward a little as the truck quickly slowed. I used it as a back up
the rest of the way home.

I wouldn't advise using it for anything but parking or emergency use, but I
believe a properly adjusted park brake can stop the vehicle with in a
reasonable space. They appear to be very well make and very sturdy.

It is worth noting I had a Jeep Wrangler in the bed of the old deuce at the
time of this story. That's almost 4000 pounds of cargo.

Joe Trapp