Re: [MV] Split braking system; some considerations.

From: Recovry4x4@aol.com
Date: Wed Nov 13 2002 - 08:31:38 PST

As I understand this, the dual system is sought for safety in case of a
hydraulic failure, correct? Rest assured that Tom Bauers split system had
far more thought in it than Tom takes credit for. If you don't have a
complete understanding of the hydraulic brake theory, I would shy away from
this modication. Brake bias is tricky at best and there is no good way short
of hiring an engineering firm, to get it foolproof for the commoner to use.
Bias with six wheels is exponentially more difficult. If a secondary means of
stopping is what is wanted, consider a driveline disc system. This can me
made completely independent of the existing system. I realize its not factory
but neither is the split system. I have a deuce axle around here someplace
with a caliper and rotor mounted to the unused drive flange on the pumpkin if
anybody is interested.
These are only the opinions of a simple mind!
Kenny