Re: [MV] Split braking system; some considerations.

From: Recovry4x4@aol.com
Date: Wed Nov 13 2002 - 13:05:20 PST

In a message dated 11/13/02 12:36:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
opm@sympatico.ca writes:

> Im interested in that disc /caliper you see under the front how does it tie
> into
> the system and where can you get them .

The caliper and rotor in this application are recycled car or light truck
units. You can buy the caliper mounts from Chucks Trucks in Orlando or Boyce
Equipment out west (Utah I think). The system would be completely seperate
from the service brake system. It could be as simple as mounting a single
master cylinder under the floor with say an old transfer case shifter used to
apply braking.
Some might think that the surface area on the rotor may not be large enough
to stop the truck but consider the nearly 7 to 1 effect of the axle gears.
One could also mount 2 rotors, one to the extra drive flange on the front
axle and one to the extra drive flange on the aft rear axle. The front rotor
would be of no value if you have lockout hubs and they are unlocked. This was
the preferred braking system on older monster trucks and could stop the
10000# behemoths in no time flat. When I get home in the morning, I can send
a pic of the caliper and rotor mounted on a deuce axle to those interested.
Kenny