Re: [MV] Another "loss of brakes" story.

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 07:42:27 PST

Hi list,
Might as well relate my loss of brakes story, too. It happened about eight
years ago when driving the 1968 Navy International Loadstar.
We had just stopped at a stop sign and were heading down a hill. As the
truck sped up, I put my foot on the brake, surprise, no brakes! Fortunately,
as in all these stories (so far), there were several driveways coming up
going off to the left and up hill. I turned up the first one after having
had no luck with the hand brake. The truck came to a stop not very far from
another vehicle parked in the driveway. No harm done.
It turned out that the brake line going to the rear had developed a leak
from corrosion. We were able to cut the line with a hammer and a chiesel,
fold the line over, hammer it flat and thus seal it off again. With the
master cylinder refilled, we drove the truck home with front brakes only.
Being a Navy vehicle, a lot of corrosion due to salt air exposure could be
found everywhere.
This is my little contribution to this growing list of brake problem
adventures.

Please, take another look at those brakes!

Bjorn

PS. The International can be seen on page 61 in the March/April, 1999 issue
of Military Vehicles Magazine