Re: [MV] manuals, repos vs. originals

From: J. Forster (jfor@quik.com)
Date: Sat Nov 16 2002 - 21:55:03 PST

Repro manuals can vary from virtually useless to better than an original. If the
repro is done on an old or badly maintained copier, they can be almost
unreadable and virtually useless. If done on a well maintained modern copier,
they can be almost a good as the original.

The main degradation shows up in half toned pictures. Copiers tend to increase
contrast, and after a picture has been copied a time or two, the contrast may
become so high, that all detail is lost.

You may wonder how a repro can be better than an original. Well, if the original
is yellowed with age or dirty or greasy or has been scribbled in, a scan and
then a digital enhancement and cleanup on a computer, can make something that is
better than the original.

You might also consider getting a scanned manual on CD. Then you can print
yourself an original any time you need one, or print only those pages you
actually need to use.

If you are getting a scanned manual, it can't hurt to ask for an e-mail sample
page or two, or a sample few pages by mail. This is especially worth doing, if
the repro is expensive.

Some manuals have colored illustrations. Check whether the repro is B&W or color
also. Scanned color should not be much more expensive, and it's often worth it.
Think wiring diagrams or change notices.

It's also worth asking how oversized pages are done. Have they been reduced
(poor idea often), pasted up, or done on an oversized copier?

BTW, the highest priced vendors are not always the best quality.

Just my $.02 worth.

-John