Re: [MV] Need flame heater ignition unit

From: ddoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 04:57:50 PST

In a message dated 11/19/2002 12:38:08 AM Eastern Standard Time, opm@sympatico.ca writes:

> I thought m35a2 with ldt motors had glow plugs

Nope, what they (and a few other engines) have is a system that is so ingeniously simple one must wonder why it is not in widespread use.

Following is the cold weather starting procedure and how it works.

Engage the starter, on the lower left corner of the dashboard is a spring loaded toggle switch, surrounded by a data plate describing the cold weather starting procedure....

Operation of this lever causes fuel to be sprayed into the intake manifold, where it is ignited by a spark plug. Now the engine is sucking burning fuel into the cylinders, which both warms the air, and I suppose could light off the fuel that is being injected normally through the fuel injection nozzles.

Operate the flame heater intermittently until the engine is running smoothly.

Walla...the engine starts. Granted, where I live (Tennessee) is unlikely to get as cold as it does where you live, but....

Over several winters I have only had to use the flame heater one day (same day I could turn the steering lock to lock with one finger, while stationary!)....all other times, the LDT fires off normally, although it turns over slower in the teens than in the 80's.

I have only used either on one LDT, and that was one that had a bad injection pump, wanted to make sure the engine would run before doing all the work to change the pump. It did, and with a new pump is still running, so I guess the ether didn't damage too much.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle