Cold weather starting aids

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 20 2002 - 14:55:27 PST

Hi list,

Being a glutton for punishment, I will continue on the subject of ether as a
starting aid for diesel engines and let's not get hysterical about it.

The new 2-1/2 tonners, the FMTV trucks, are equipped with ether canisters to
aid starting in cold weather (as are many other trucks). The engine is the
Caterpillar 3116. The injection of ether is still under manual control and
the TM 9-2320-365-10 has the following precautions regarding the use of
ether:

Do not press ether switch unless engine is cranking. Failure to comply may
result in damage to engine.

Do not use ether after the engine has reached idle speed (750 rpm) and is no
longer in danger of stalling. Failure to comply may result in damage to
engine.

Continue to inject ether if engine has started but will not run without
ether.

In a separate section, "Arctic start from -26F to -50F", one step in the
procedure suggests the following: Depress ether start switch for three
seconds.

Three seconds is a lot, in my humble opinion.

When the engine is cranking at 300 rpm, or 5 revolutions per second, it
completes 2.5 cycles per second. A "small dose" of ether (a small dose for
me is about one second from a normal aerosol can) may be enough to run the
engine for one or two cycles and it should be under governor control after
that. I do not see any danger of a run-away situation unless ether is
injected continously. Please, correct me if this argument is faulty. How
could this harm the old multifuel?

Since injection of ether as a starting aid in cold weather is under manual
control it must be used with caution. The "flame heater" is also under
manual control and must also be used within specified limits: low rpm and at
temperatures below 20 deg F.

What happens when the flame heater is used at higher rpm's and/or at warmer
temperatures?

Does anybody know of a good test procedure for the flame heater that can be
performed to evaluate the spark and the nozzle at warmer temperatures? Off
the engine?

Thanks,

Bjorn