[MV] Virus Warning [ sorry ]

From: Paul A. Thomas (bluewhale@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Wed Nov 20 2002 - 21:22:58 PST

I apologize for yet another virus warning for the MV list... I got BugBear
from Joe Scheaffer tonight.. not unusual: I get BugBear once or twice a day
now.

My warning is for a problem earlier tonight here on my home PC. I received
an email on my ATTBI.COM account ( cable modem which seems to allow some
spaming ). It was suspicious based on standard virus wording. It offered
glimpses of the ' third sniper ' at a couple of specific URL's... ( both
.asp links ). As the wording really rang bells I looked at my Norton
Antivirus icon in the lower right corner of the desktop. It was gone. (
AUGHHHHH <g> )

When I pulled NAV up it indicated it's ' E-Mail ' protection was in an '
Error ' state. I pulled my internet connection and tried to fix/track it
down. no go. I ended up un-installing NAV and installing the 2003 version
which I picked up a few weeks ago. I updated it and scanned the drives
involved.... no sign of a virus.
I mention this as a caution: I've never seen NAV say ' Error ' for any
portion of the things that it covers, and certainly not for E-mail
coverage. And I've read of recent bugs which target anti-virus apps, and
are starting to get ... well, mean in my semi-humble opinion.

So if you look down near the clock on the desktop and notice the anti-virus
icon is missing take a few minutes and see if it is really hurt or not.

'Soapbox Off'

        Regards.

        Paul MVPA #24986