Re: [MV] vehicle information needed

From: ddoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Thu Nov 21 2002 - 07:08:51 PST

In a message dated 11/21/2002 9:12:20 AM Eastern Standard Time, GBedel@designforum.com writes:

> What do the "G" numbers represent?

Well, like many great ideas, this was a real good system that fell by the wayside.

The G numbers are the Standard Nomenclature List, SNL number. A G number as a rule represents an entire vehicle family, or chassis series.

As I recall you are interested in M715 type trucks. While a M715 is a cargo truck, the G number of the series is G-890.

While M715 says "cargo truck", G-890 would be the family name for the whole series, the M715, M724, M725, M726.

Similar, G-742 encompasses all M35, M35A1, M35A2, M44, etc type trucks through the several hundred variations (Although briefly the G-863 designation was used for the Multifuel versions, but that designation was soon officially dropped).

As I recall, these numbers were assigned by the Ordnance Corps, which is one of these reasons the WWII era numbers are jumbled, because in the pre and early war period, most vehicles were Quartermaster Corps responsibility, so there numbers weren't assigned until they were transfered to Ordnance. This is one of the reasons that there are several G numbers for CCKW based vehicles, before finally settling on G-508.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle