Military batteries, are they necessary?

From: GOTAM35 (gotam35@sc.rr.com)
Date: Thu Nov 21 2002 - 18:49:42 PST

Dumb question of the week.

Why does the military use the square looking batteries I have seen talked
about so much on this list? Why can't you use 2 regular truck batteries in
the deuce and other trucks? I put two in a parts truck this week and it
cranked up just fine. Ironically I noticed a deuce the other day in the
fire departments care that had two truck batteries. I need two for my parts
truck turned driver truck and would like to pick up two cheap truck
batteries. Will that work?

As always, thanks for the advice, necessary
Joe Trapp