RE: [MV] CUCVs and M1010s and the Bonneville Land Speed Record

From: Horrocks, Aaron (ACHb@pge.com)
Date: Mon Nov 18 2002 - 14:58:26 PST

The discussion here is the opposite of a problem I have now.

I used to have a 1988 Nissan Pathfinder, which had a top speed of about
80mph. That didn't bother me, because if I want to drive fast, I'll take my
Plymouth for a spin. That truck was the right sized for me and good for
towing too. A good 4x4 at a small but larger than jeep size.

Now, I have a 1994 Pathfinder. She can do 100mph and there's still more to
go. But I don't want to drive fast, I want to tow my 1952 M38A1 around
California, and even out of state. It's not too bad most of the time, but
hills and mountains are killer. The engine has the power, but she's geared
to high. The transmission is essentially not swappable since it has to many
"features." Is changing out the gear ratios on the axels a common, standard
thing to do to vehicles? Is that the best option to do, you know aside for
getting a different truck...

Aaron Horrocks