Re: [MV] More M35 questions....

From: ddoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Fri Nov 22 2002 - 18:54:30 PST

In a message dated 11/22/2002 6:28:46 PM Eastern Standard Time, hellcat@provide.net writes:

> I wont be using the 3 color CARC
> but rather going back to solid USMC dark green. A bit of a shame considering
> the CARC is very fresh and not faded.

DO NOT REMOVE THE CARC, BUT PAINT OVER IT. UNLESS YOU SPEND A LOT MORE MONEY ON YOUR TOYS THAN THE REST OF US, THE CARC HAS SUPERIOR WATER RESISTANCE TO ANYTHING ELSE YOU WILL APPLY. ALSO, THE CARC HAS SUPERIOR FADE RESISTANCE TO ANYTHING BUT GENUINE AUTOMOTIVE PAINT (WHICH IS NOT WHAT IS COMMONLY SOLD TO THE MV MARKET). WHEN YOU THINK CARC, THINK IMRON.

> Anyway I am wondering about the original color as it seems the engine,
> engine compartment, and dash may be original but its that very BROWN
> green... (Vietnam era I think). I scraped it off in a couple spots and thats
> the first coat from back when. Right?

FS 24087 WAS THE COLOR DURING THE VIETNAM ERA, AND COULD WELL BE THE DELIVERY COLOR OF THE TRUCK.

> Next, the engine looks IMMACULATE with not a spot of oil on it anywhere but
> there is NO rebuild tag ???? It runs literally like new with strong oil
> pressure and absolutely ZERO blowby on my Dwyer gauges. Could this have been
> a NEW replacement engine at 34000 miles?

POSSIBLE, BUT EXTREMELY UNLIKELY. On June 30, 1987,the Army requested EPA approval "Conditional National Security Exemption" from 88 and future standards for purchase of 15,000 2 1/2 ton truck engines over a 5 year period. This exemption request was denied. In 1987 the EPA granted the final exemption, for one year, for 3000 engines, and told the Army that it would grant no further exemptions.

The army then became more aggressive in the rebuilding of salvageable engines. If memory serves correctly, within the Army a rebuilt LDT is billed at about $11,000, it is staggering to imagine what a new one will bill out at, if there was still one in a warehouse. I suspect that you have a depot rebuilt engine, with the tag missing. OR, sometimes on LDT's the rebuild tag is on top of the bell housing. With the engine installed, you have to lay on top of it and look down to see/read it.

> Also the trans seems new as well as the master cylinder so heres the last
> question, The data plate on the dash has the same 04F.... number as the
> inside of the door but it also says the mfr # is 0525 2 11 93 could this
> be the "rebuild" date? And if so I assume the fresh CARC, trans, brakes, etc
> was considered a manufacture date of 2 11 93 ?????? right?
> Is there any way
> to decipher the door/data plate # ????

the O4F is the registration number, the "license number" so to speak. 0525 is the prefix code for M35A2 trucks that was assigned by the builder as part of the manufacturers serial number, or VIN number, when those trucks were built by Kaiser-Jeep or AM General. The complete VIN number will be embossed in the frame rail near the front axle, and should be on the data plate.

It is possible that your truck has a replacement data plate that someone restamped with a rebuild date.

The transmission and transfer cases can also have rebuilt data plates on them, compare the dates.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle