Re: M35 Thanksgiving Day musings...was/is Re: [MV] Spark Plug Socket Size

From: ddoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Thu Nov 28 2002 - 20:05:08 PST

Ron,
I will touch quickly on a few things, then get back later with details.

First, best source of plug wrench is ebay....can pick up GI issue one for less than five bucks.

I have a wealth of info on plugs that I will try to dig up over weekend.

I have the Jan 52 9-819, and I also have the June 50 9-819. The June 50 is the first operators manual for this series, and it covers ONLY the M34. As more models were added, the TM got bigger.

There was a lot of controversy about the TM's in the early 50's (subject of upcoming article)....but it boils down as follows.....

Col. M.K. Barrol, US Army Retired, was the Reo rep in DC. He and Reo President John Tooker were of the opinion that the "restricted" classification of manual prevented them from being used be some of the necessary personnel, and campaigned hard to change the security classifications, not only of the manuals for their vehicles, but all. As you can see, by the Dec 1954 pub of TM 9-8022, they were eventually successful.

They were also of the opinion that there was too much information in these TM's, that so much information was being given to unqualified people, that tinkering and adjusting by the drivers was making more work for the real mechanics, and campaigned for the "dumbing down" of the manuals. This took longer, but is what brought on the -10 series of manuals.

Reo got the contract to build the G-742 series in June 1949. I don't recall the date delivery began of the production run.

Hope this helps,
David