Does anyone have a source for CUCV vented oil cap, or a reliable source for CUCV parts?

From: Nathan Wilkens (nathan.wilkens@asu.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 01 2002 - 12:19:11 PST

Esteemed Colleagues:

Does anyone know of a good source for the CUCV vented oil filler cap? I've
tried cleaning mine several times, but I can't seem to get some corrosion
out of it, so it's not "clicking" like it should and needs to be replaced
(the army recommended changing it at least annually for heavy use vehicles -
and I'm sure mine has at least 100k+ miles since it was last replaced)... I
tried NAPA, but the guy looked at my like I had two heads...
Speaking of NAPA, can anyone recommend a better parts source? It seems
every time I go to a parts store, it becomes a huge ordeal.. I recently
replaced motor mounts and the exhause manifold mating rings (where they
connect to the exhaust pipe). The guys at NAPA had to pull out every motor
mount they had until we found a match with a late 70's to 1984 1 ton motor
mount (I have an 86' M1009). They couldn't find any matches with the
exhaust rings, so they finally pulled out the caliper and gave me the
closest size they had (which did work, thankfully). Whenever I go to the GM
dealer, I have to go to one dealer (that has no parts inventory, but are the
nicest people around) to look up the part numbers then another dealer (who
carries lots of parts, but is too busy to look stuff up) only to find that
many of the parts are "not in production.. .you'll have to look somewhere
else" - when I ask for suggestions as to where "somewhere else" is, they
just shrug their shoulders...
Now, I can't imagine what most MV folks who own older vehicles must go
through for parts, but I'm amazed that a mostly civilian military vehicle
has so many problems finding parts... Am I the only one having these
problems? I may have one of the higher mileage M1009s (I'm guessing 300k or
more, but I can verify at least 200k), and I'm in the 'time to replace all
the little things' mileage zone (now that the tranny, transfer case, and
injector pump have been rebuilt). Has anyone else found a good source of
parts for CUCV's? - and please, don't suggest LMK - I love the place, the
parts are cheap, but their selection is quite limited (especially for diesel
parts), and mail ordering parts that might fit or might not fit totally
doesn't work.
Any advice appreciated..
Nathan Wilkens