Preferred batteries for CICVs

From: Ronzo (rojoha@attbi.com)
Date: Tue Dec 03 2002 - 17:30:15 PST

    My M1010 decided it don't want to start when cold (22 degrees F this AM)
stranding me at work this AM. Truck still there and I plan to drag out a
small generator and a couple of 12 VDC chargers and charge the batteries in
place tomorrow. But the temps are supposed to be around 8 in the AM, so it
doesn't look promising. The company's M9?? HEMTT tractor (we build the
Patriot SAM system) is off site for a couple of days, so a jump isn't an
option at the moment. Thank God I don't live next to RAM in Vt where it
never gets over 10 F in the winter.
    The M1010 has a mixed battery set. One is a DEKA Group 31 (circa 1997)
and the second is a group 24, year unknown.
    So it's a given that both need to be replaced. -34P manual shows the
NSN is 6140-01-031-6882, with a PN of 31-620. So I think it is safe to say
that the Group 31 is the proper size, even though the tray appears able to
accept some thing larger.
    The DEKA (aka East Penn Manufacturing Co) has a NSN of 6140-01-457-2407,
BCI Group of 31, a DEKA PN of 1231PMF and a CCA of 1100, Reserve Capacity of
195 and a Gov't price of $74 each (probably $200 civilian). DEKA Military
Ordnance batteries can be found here :
http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/products/military.html

     But the group 31 battery varies widely in CCA and specs. See
http://www.dscr.dla.mil/PRODUCTS/bcicvc/cat3.htm for a little more info if
interested.

   A company called Odyssey has an interesting dry cell type 31, Check out
http://www.odysseyfactory.com/ and click applications and notice their chart
which shows what a battery group is supposed have for ranges and compare it
to the DLA chart and note the ranges for the group 31 batteries it lists and
how they vary by manufacturer.

    Optima has a model D31M which has a CCA of 975 and a price (delivered)
of $196.

    Interstate has a 31P-MHD (light truck) with a CCA of 950 for about $105.

    Sears doesn't appear to allow you to look up by battery group online, so
a trip to the store is in my future.

    Anyways, what do you cold weather CUCV owners use (or avoid like the
plague) for batteries?

    Inquiring minds want to know...

    Ronzo