M35

From: Paul A. Thomas (bluewhale@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Sun Dec 08 2002 - 18:16:19 PST

As I move closer to starting my deuce ( the parking area/pit is 2/3
completed ) I have been trying to trace wires to ensure that I have some
idea what does what. I opened the hood a week ago to find what looked to
be a fuel pump on the left side of the engine ( gas circa 1952 ). The
front line was disconnected, the rear line missing. I found what appears
to be a fuel pump bolted to the underside of the engine area made by AC
Spark Plugs. ( this is what the cannister says: why it doesn't say 'fuel
pump' I do not know )
I am finding that most of this truck seems to have been either patched, hot
wired or just reworked in order to get/keep it running.

TM 9-8022 is nice, but when they have true photos they have often been
copied so many times as to make the illustration useless. Can anyone point
me toward photos of an M35 'gasser' which are sharp/clear on the way the
trucks were when first built? Specifically the ignition wiring... heck
anything to do with the engine bay wiring and dash wiring would
help. Diagrams have helped, but are not the same as pics. IE: the drivers
side floor board has three foot switches. One I PRESUME is for the siren,
one for high beams, and one to start the truck. However the switch I
traced ( same switch exists on the passenger side floor board ) has really
thick copper wires, and goes to an array just over the started... I'm
almost to the point where I'll buy batteries and just try to start it but
really would like to be able to compare what exists here with what was
built originally on the truck as Contra Costa's fire dept was not shy about
wiring around a failed component. They WERE shy about documenting it tho. :}

Thank you for any links you might have

        Paul MVPA #24986
        '53 REO M35 Fire Conversion
        '53 AEC Chevy 3/4 Ton