CUCV Engine Part "RELAY,ELECTROMAGNET" -- What Does It Do???

From: Jim Newton (jnewton@laurel.com)
Date: Tue Dec 17 2002 - 22:17:41 PST

Hello All...

I'm wondering about the functionality of a particular part on the 6.2
L CUCV diesel engine.

On page 79 of TM9-2320-289-34P (Section II, Figure 25, Item 14) you
will see this part that is described as a "RELAY,ELECTROMAGNET".

My M1007 has this piece too, and today I found it dangling loose
because the two bolts had come loose and fell out. It was being held
from falling out of the engine by a single wire that connects to its
single terminal.

What does this item do?

I measured its impedance, and determined that it does not seem to be a
switch...in other words, when the plunger is moved in and out, the
electrical characteristics do not seem to change.

I did not connect it to power because I didn't want to risk damaging
it in case it was designed for less than 12 VDC.

It seems to push or ride on the accelerator mechanism, and ties into
the (I think) diesel or vacuum system.

Thanks!

--

Jim "Ike" Newton

o 1984 M1007 CUCV Military Suburban 6.2 Liter (378 CID) Turbo-Diesel Engine 5/4 Ton Cargo Capacity, 4WD

o 1971 M35A2 Military Troop/Cargo Truck "Deuce and a Half" 478 CID Turbo-Diesel Multi-Fuel Engine Air Shift Front Axle 2 1/2 Ton Cargo Capacity, 6WD

See them at: http://www.CUCV.net