CUCV transmission problems...

From: Nathan Wilkens (nathan.wilkens@asu.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 23 2002 - 16:42:58 PST

Esteemed Colleagues:

While braving the shopping mall today, my M1009 transmission appears to have
conked out. It has stopped shifting gears - initially I was stuck in first
gear only (top speed 25mph). I inspected the upper vacuum hoses (all appear
to be fine), and after manually switching the gear selector, I was able to
get it to shift into 3rd gear, but now its stuck in 3rd.

I'm hoping it's not a serious problem - today is exactly 2 days past my
12month transmission rebuild warranty (figures). I'm hoping it's either a
vacuum leak in one of the hoses, or the shift modulator has gone out. I
have a new vacuum pump (12 months old, and it has at least some vacuum in
it - I'll hook up the vacuum meter tonight for an official reading).

Has anyone had a similar experience with the TH400 transmission? Do vacuum
modulators wear out or break? What about changing the transmission filter
(might this help)?

Thanks,
Nathan Wilkens

86 M1009 CUCV