Re: [MV] Cold Start

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Tue Dec 24 2002 - 01:36:10 PST

         Tom,

         Detroit Diesels 2 strokes have a start procedure when they are
worn but do not require a rebuild. If it is Summer or Winter and it still
cranks a long time blowing blue smoke before it starts here is the
procedure. Make sure the manual shutdown is in the run position, and crank
engine over for 10 seconds and release starter for no more than 1 &1/2
seconds then hit the starter again. The momentary delay between starter
tries allows the fuel injectors which have had the tips warmed by the
compressed air transfers the heat to the fuel in the injector tips making
that fuel much easier to ignite that the cold fuel behind the tips. The
engine should light off immediately, but be prepared to add throttle to
keep it running until the combustion chambers warm up. This generally takes
about 1 minute and if equipped with a hand throttle use it to keep the
engine off idle so the engine doesn't "roll" at idle. That roll at idle is
harmful to Diesels so keep the engine revved up but not over 1,000 RPM.
This will generally work if your batteries are cranking the engine over
fast enough.

Jim Shanks
1998 IMZ 8.103