Update - CUCV transmission problem

From: Nathan Wilkens (nathan.wilkens@asu.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 24 2002 - 09:27:46 PST

Gentlemen,

I did some troubleshooting on my CUCV transmission last night, and
discovered the following things:

1. The system does not have a vacuum leak - I measured a solid 30Hg of
vacuum at the modulator, that even held 30Hg for several minutes after I
turned off the engine. The downshift-throttle position sensor isn't hooked
up on my CUCV (not for long), so the vacuum goes straight from the vacuum
pump down to the modulator...

2. The vacuum modulator had been adjusted all the way in (with the spring
pre-load screw) so far that the screw was below the threads and down into
the spring plate itself. This may be (fingers crossed) part of the problem.
I will have to get a new adjustable modulator to set the spring tension
lower so I can hook the downshift-throttle position sensor on the injector
pump back up again.

3. The modulator valve appears to be stuck (the modulator valve is the
cylindrical part that the vacuum modulator adjusts to cause shifting - page
377, item 4, in the 9-2320-289-34 manual). The -34 manual says it is to be
removed when the modulator is removed, but mine doesn't want to come out.
I've only tried using my fingers, and have refrained from using a needle
nose pliers to pull it out since I didn't want to scratch it up. Should I
yank it out with force (any of you tranny guys know the answer to this?),
and could the 'stickiness' of this valve be the problem with my shifting?
Perhaps something has broken inside the tranny and small pieces are caught
in the valve????

Thanks again,
Nathan Wilkens