Military Hummers "not for sale"

From: Julian Burke (julian@knology.net)
Date: Thu Dec 26 2002 - 15:21:30 PST

I received a couple of positive comments from my last posting. This brought
me to another point that I have never really understood of people not quite
understanding what is involved in owning a vehicle. (any vehicle for this
matter)

  This is mainly for individuals who are members of this list, who want a MV
but who are NOT currently subscribed as a member of the MVPA. Here is a
link to this organization to make it easier for you to find and join:
http://www.mvpa.org/

   If you are interested in Military Vehicles, I strongly recommend that you
first join the MVPA. (Military Vehicles Preservation Association) Go to
meets and talk to owners of vehicles as there is always a wealth of info
there. Understand why you want such a vehicle. Understand what the
maintenance is on them and how much you can do yourself. Understand that
you have a "gift" that is illegal in many other parts of the world. These
machines also stand for freedom too! For individuals who think these
machines are free or at givaway prices or you just want to look "cool"
driving one OR you are a hunter wanting one to bang around in the woods
thinking they are cheap and no one cares about them because they are
military at free prices, I don't know how to answer you or tell you what you
need to do. If you are a member, you will learn quite a bit of vehicles
that were meant to fight and are prized possessions to many. If you are
looking for a daily driver, MV's may not be a good idea. Some are not
really safe to drive on a daily basis. Parts are getting scarce for many
and others are quite pricey. If you are 17 years old and want a cheap
Humvee to look "cool" in-dream on!

  I would think that long ago the $50 jeeps would be obvious. However today
there is a new twist that still lingers: $300 Corvettes from Gov't
auctions! New SUV's that were drug confiscated for $500! These ads still
appear in newspapers and should be banned as they are only gov't address
lists for sale to unknowing idiots that will pay $35-100 for these lists
that are actually free if you know how to pick up a phone and call your
local municipals or state gov'ts for FREE lists of dates of sales! When I
see these BOGUS ads, I call them. I ask about/where the $300 new cars are
and when they give me the pitch of subscribing to their address list, I say
"Don't you know these llists are FREE from the gov't?" They always get mad
and hang up on you. If I have time I call them until I get the same person
over again as they have many people answering those lines. I at least
scammed them out of THEIR WATTS line time and FEEL GOOD about it!! Truth is
that these vehicles bring about 10% OVER book at these auctions and there is
no shortage of buyers and no such thing as a $300 Corvette or otherwise
ever!!

     30 years ago, I heard the story of the man selling a 1965 Chevrolet for
$300. It turned out his son was killed in Viet Nam and was selling his car
which turned out to be a 1965 Chevrolet CORVETTE and didn't know the
difference!! This story still circulates today but is updated to meet
current events. I still hear it, but now his son was killed in the 9/11
event!

     Same story of the wife who sold her husband's 2003 Lincoln/Cadillac/SUV
or any other new vehicle of your choice for $50 because he told her to sell
it for what she could get for it after he ran away with his secretary.
These stories never go away and I have had good friends even tell me these
with passion that I should go and check them out! Don't these stories ever
die? $50 jeeps, $500 Humvees, $300 Corvettes, etc-Dream on........ When
someone you know calls you and says they can get $500 Hummers/whatever else
to good to be true items, first thing you do is get real excited, jump up
and down in front of them and order 50 or even 100 & more-call them every
day & night to the point of harassing them promising you will pay for theirs
as a "reward" for sharing this with you!! I guarantee they won't do it
again! (Of course if someone actually does find this and it is real, email
ME only and tell NOOOOO ONE else and I'll get you off the hook! and I'll pay
for yours too)

     Of course, these are my opinions but it never ceases to amaze me what
people will fall for and get separated from their money. Julian Burke