Re: [MV] B-17 History ?

From: Orintz (orintz@hal3000.cx)
Date: Sat Dec 28 2002 - 08:31:01 PST

Along a similar line was the Fairchild (I believe) recovered from under the
snow, during Byrds second Antarctic expedition (1934 if I remember).
Interesting to note because it became the first plane to fly over the south
pole when Byrd was overcome by Carbon Monoxide in his camp at the South
Pole. The fellow who recovered the plane had done so in secret and when he
heard Byrd needed to be evacuated he decided to come to the rescue, he beat
the official plane to the south pole due to the first plane breaking a ski
on takeoff, thus needing repairs.When he arrived at Byrds camp Byrd told him
"you are not my pilot , and that is not my plane" and made him turn around
and go back, while Byrd waited there for his "official" plane to arrive.You
can read more in With Byrd at the bottom of the world by Greg Vaughn. Anyhow
I just thought I would pass that lost-plane-under-the-ice story as well.

Orintz