Re: [MV] Recruiting Our Youth

From: Ryan M Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Dec 30 2002 - 13:57:06 PST

At 1:14 PM -0800 12/30/02, Dave Ball wrote:
>I am not sure which is worse over armed paranoid good Samaritans or a person
>who thinks a carbine with a knife on the end is a good defense in an ambush.

"Use your pistol to fight your way to your rifle..." That's something
the Rec.Guns crowd seemed to chant as a basic self defense mantra.
You've gotta have that rifle nearby in order to get to it.

Mostly the rifle is there as a blanket for the issue of intervention
as a third party and I have no other option. I'd rather deal with
some bad situation that I feel I must help in from a distance rather
than up close. What moved me to that was my stopping a man from being
beat to death at 2am in Atlanta. I was on the way home and saw the
situation developing from three men chasing one to three men jumping
up and down on the one. I interviened from a comfy distance with my
engine between me and them. The carbine would have been better given
the range.

>I will say I would rather take my chances on my own knowing what type of
>folks might pull over to help so do me a favor and don't do me any favors.
>This is the type of mentality that has got this world in deep defecation a
>gun of any type is no good unless it is ready for use anything else is
>trouble waiting to happen.

Guns don't get waved at people helter skelter. That't not what I'm
saying. They don't even know it's there unless there is some kind of
problem.

>I wonder what would happen if someone walked up to your car and pointed a
>Saturday night special at your temple and said get out and give me the keys
>you would do it and now they have your 9 and carbine and your car and your

Given that they will often times shoot you when you totally comply,
I'll be looking for that 2 second opening and not give them the
chance. Doubly so given that I often have my girlfriend in the car.
The first motion to getting out is undoing the seat-belt, right next
to that is the 9mm. Take that with me as I slowly rise and then look
for the opening.

>Lighten up people it can be dangerous out there but so is playing golf in
>the rain you are more likely to get hit by a sniper than have the above
>happen anytime soon so use common sense put the guns in a safe at home drive
>carefully carry a cell and CB call 911 if you see someone stranded give them
>location (GPS is great) and the license number of the car.

I'm not going to try to read GPS coordinates to a Police dispatcher.
They have enough trouble with Highway and exit numbers what with all
the changes the DOT keeps making. "Is that new exit 43 or old exit
number 43?" We had a nice new easy Exit number = Mile Marker number
and the local dispatchers even got that wrong. The Atlanta
Dispatchers couldn't even process the call for the Olympic park
bombing 5 years ago because they wanted a numbered street address for
it. The recording was all over the news. "You've just had a bomb go
off in Olympic Park. You've got a lot of people hurt, send ambulances
and police now!" "What address is that???"

>If you have no choice but to give aid call 911 give them your location the
>situation and both yours and the victims licenses numbers and then access
>the situation by driving by and pulling over and backing up to the disabled
>vehicle (just like a cop) this way you can see if it is safe before getting
>out and you have left yourself a way out.

If the HERO's are active I'll call, but they go home after a certain
time or are too busy, so depending on if one is available, I'll stop
or not.

>You can also roll by and let the stranded people know you have alerted the
>local police to there location without leaving your vehicle just keep your
>eyes open.

Usually, its a matter of passing and giving an eyeball and then going
round or parking down the ways. I'll collect the conspicuocity vest
and/or flash light when I get out.

>If you drive by and see 4 people and then on a second look only see three I
>would be very cautious.
>If you are the type of person who cannot do risk assessment well then make
>the call to 911 and drive by slowly showing them the cell and scadattle you
>did more than most and can still drink without drooling you helped the best
>way you could.

Most certainly. I work around systems that are online and supporting
a website that most of the people on this list likely look at. I'm
pretty good at the whole risk assessment concept as I do it every
day. "Is moving this wire going to take down CNN.com's main server?"

--
--
- Ryan Montieth Gill                         '01 Honda Insight -