Saving the Deuce's exhaust system

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 03 2003 - 06:29:26 PST

Hi Listers,
It is probably safe to assume that most M35 type trucks and larger are
stored outdoors without any cover from wind and weather. In particular, the
vertical exhaust pipe will accumulate water if the vehicle isn't used
constantly. To keep from blowing a pint of sludgy water all over the hood
and cab of the truck when it is started, keep a tin held down with a rubber
strap over the exhaust when not used.

This is unsolicited advise, I know, but I almost never see the exhausts
covered on other trucks and it also extends the life of the piping or
muffler, if so equipped. Perhaps it looks sissy to some, but if I forget to
put the tin over the exhaust before a rain storm, next time I start the
engine the black droplets come flying as a reminder.

Just remember to take the tin off before starting the truck...

I think surplus MV dealers should cover all the exhausts and also throw a
6x8 ft tarp over the cabs of the trucks that just sit in their yards year
after year. I have seen so many M35 vehicles with rotted out cab tops, with
the interior canvas (seats)exposed and starting to deteriorate.

A winch should also be covered. Not wrapped all around with canvas, that
will produce condensation, just cover it from above, it needs ventilation.

Cheers,

Bjorn
MVPA 19212