Re: [MV] Coaster to set a weasel on?

From: russell hill (russell@cyberport.com)
Date: Sun Jan 05 2003 - 13:06:56 PST

I have the same trailer:

US Army Corps of Engineers Lowbed Machinery Trailer
Fruehauf, 1942

I retrieved it from a local junkyard. I use it to haul all kinds of
equipment behind my XM211 and M51A2 6x6's. My D3B dozer (~17,000#) fits on
it like it was custom built for the job and pulls beautifully on steep rough
mountain roads (and off-road). It does not back up, however, so one must
plan one's excursions with that in mind. It is a VERY sturdy trailer, with
four 9.00-20 tires on each axle it is capable of carrying very heavy loads
and it has always felt very stable. The data plate says it shouldn't go
over 30 mph but I must confess that I've probably been up to about 50 mph
with it and it felt fine. The deck is about 8 feet long in front of the rear
wheels so the D3 and weasel tracks fit nicely in that space. I also carry a
Kubota backhoe, and (once) a BIG Pettibone "Super-Six" forklift on it. The
18,000# forklift had to straddle the rear wheels but it did fit. For
everything except the D3 and the forklift it's way more trailer than needed
but I like that - the trucks are usually overkill too for that matter.

I love this trailer and if I didn't own one already I'd definately be
bidding. I know - I need it for spare parts!

Russell Hill
La Plata, NM
M51A2, XM211's, CCKW with Crane, M38A1, M274, M29's, etc....