Plowing snow with a 42'.............

From: Steve & Jeanne Keith (cckw@attbi.com)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 05:36:23 PST

We got about 12" of snow over the past two days and the old 42 Cheby 4x4 did
a fine job keeping the 1/4 mile driveway to the POD and son in laws place
open. It was tough on the truck and I had to plow faster than I normally do
to try and throw the light snow over the existing banks.

Yesterday, I decided it was time for some gas so I proceeded to Concord NH 5
miles away. I had thought about leaving the plow at home, but it is such a
pain to get it back on , I decided to drive to the big city with it on...

On the longest hill (3/4 mile) going down I hit a bump and heard a funny
noise. I also observed (I am very observent...) that I could no longer see
the angled corner of the plow. I assumed that maybe the chain had jumped off
of the hoist assy. Stepping on the brakes sent the truck into a skid on the
snow covered roads. Plan B. let off of the brakes and gas and slow down
slowly.

When I finally stopped at the bottom of the hill and got out, I could not
believe what had happened. The welding (not mine) had broken and the cross
angle iron that the plow mounts to had come off of the rest of the plow
frame. The plow was being pushed/dragged face down in the road, just in
front of the tires, only being held back from going under the truck by the
hoist chain! WOW! Can't quite imagine if I had passed over it....

Needless to say, the angle fittings were all broken or ground into nothing.
Hopefully the plow is not bent, nor the cylinders etc.

A good neighbor stopped and we hooked the back end of the broken off plow
frame over the hoist cylinder and I carried it home that way....

Always an adventure!!!

Steve AKA Dr Deuce