Re: [MV] 12 volt add-on system to 24 volt vehicle

From: Patrick Jankowiak (eccm@swbell.net)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 19:38:36 PST

When you do that with the alternator running, you do two things: you
discharge the battery closest to ground, and charge the 'top' battery.
You can overcharge the top batery this way and ruin it.

When the alternator is not running, you discharge the bottom battery,
and the bottom battery will have a then lower voltage than the top
one. When the engine is run again, the top battery will receive more
charge than the bottom one, because it will have a higher voltage
across it, and this will overcharge the top battery.

so in any case, the top battery gets overcharged!