Re: [MV] 24vdc from 12vdc 6.5L turbo-diesel withairconditioning...

From: Patrick Jankowiak (eccm@swbell.net)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 22:07:10 PST

This could be done at re-winding time by tapping the 3-phase stator of
the alternator at the halfway point. Two sets of rectifiers would be
required. One would probably have to be external, due to limited space
inside the alternator case.

Other issues would be:

Differing loads on the 12V and 24V outputs could cause them not to
track well. Maybe it is a small amount of error, but from which
outout, 12V or 24V, should the regulator derive its feedback for the
purpose of energizing the field? Probably the output that supplies the
MV batteries would be the choice.

A given alternator case size is roughly good for so many watts of
output. Say the MV alternator on the M35 deuce which is 60 amps is
modified and used. When you draw 10 amps from the 12V output, you are
drawing 10A from the lower half of the winding. This means that the
lower part of the winding can provide you 50 more amps. Although the
top part of the winding can supply 60A, the 24V limit would be 50A
because they are in series.