Re: [MV] gasoline for tanks?

From: Fred Martin (mung@in-touch.net)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 08:57:38 PST

Steve....as Kuhrick and someone else pointed out with their Ronson and Zippo
comments (liked that reply)....I had also heard about pouring gasoline or diesel
on the tracks and setting it on fire to unthaw a tracked vehicle from frozen
ground. I know about the right way, wrong way and the (substitute your branch
here) way....and ....it'd be pick and shovel for the government way....(you could
always count on that.) I wonder if it was a good idea to use fire with all that
gasoline and ammo aboard? I remember aboard an old navy tincan (destroyer) in the
north atlantic in winter time using a coathanger (with rag tied around end)
dipped in diesel fuel and your trusty Zippo (the only thing that would light in
all that wind) to start the motor whaleboat. We had different priorities on the
water than you land based (I won't say lovers)....so I have to pick brains to
satisfy my curosities. The question is: if they needed to get them unstuck in a
hurry....would they have used whatever fuel was on hand? Or.....would firing the
main gun release them? Fred