RE [MV] Deuce Wiring Puzzlement

From: Paul A. Thomas (bluewhale@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 13:47:27 PST

Regarding the gauges, there is a complete panel on the left side of the
truck with all of the gauges and knobs, etc for the pumping apparatus. The
panel can be seen at

http://www.paulathomas.com/images/9-7-01REO%234.jpg

The two things duplicated in the cab are the speedometer, and for some
reason there are two ' ignition ' pull knobs. I may well have to pull the
entire electrical system apart and replace it, but am hoping to get some
way to get the truck ' movable ' in the interim in order to allow me to
complete the truck pit and put the tent I bought at Sams Club up over it,
allowing it to spend the winter ' indoors ' .

Thanks

Paul

Some ideas.
You are probably right about the possibility that the truck was re-wired to
run on 12 volts.
If one battery is for the truck, and one is for the pump, might one
ignition switch be for the truck and one for the pump?
You may have to have the master switch on to energize the circuits that
feed the ignition switches, or all of the accessories, or both.
You appear to have two sets of gages. One for the truck and one for the pump?
I am going to guess that, if the truck is still wired for 24 volts, you
could hook up a single 12 volt battery to what you believe is the truck
side of the system and try starting it. If the engine won't turn over, or
turns over very slowly, it is still probably wired for 24 volts. If it
turns over nicely, and maybe even starts, then 12 volts seems to be the
answer. I don't believe that you will harm the components by trying to
apply 12 volts to a 24 volt system. The opposite is definitely not true!