Re: [MV] USMC Armor Question

From: Fred Martin (mung@in-touch.net)
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 11:45:28 PST

Well Stew....looks like you punched the wrong button and fired one of
those artillery pieces in your computer. (grin) I looked through the
listing that you posted and was surprised at the size of some of
them....the M65 at 11" and that M270 at 23.89". Whew! That must have
been railroad car stuff. Have to be crane or elevater loaded ammo huh?
How else would you carry ammo for that size gun? Maybe a coastal battery
for warding off the WW2 battleships. I thought I had heard of a 19"? gun
aboard Japanese warships as the largest. How many pieces of ammo could a
M35 carry for one of these bruisers? And ....picture the lathe that
bored out the barrel....it would not be made by a Harbor Freight
machine. I once saw a vertical lathe in the Brooklyn Naval ShipYard that
had a picture beside it that had 32 men lined up side by side on the
chuck. I sure hope that our abilities to manufacture don't go with away
like the jobs of today are. I have always considered this our backbone.
Fred