Re: [MV] Ferret information

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 20:18:13 PST

Hi Ryan,

>Granted, but I'm pointing out that you don't save the money in the
>long term. Especially when you factor in costs for parts shipped
>across the pond.

I agree that if you have the money now, and the difference isn't all that
big, in general it is betteer to buy something that is already pretty
much gone over and repaired even if it is more up front. But, like Jim
was saying... it is not necessarily a total cost issue. Spreading out
the cost might result in more money out of pocket BUT if the choice is
that or not being able to afford to purchase it at all... I'd go with
more money over time option.

I have recently had to give this a lot of thought. I will probably own a
large AFV at some point in the near future. I have seen ones in the US
going for $80,000 while I know I can get the same vehicle out of Europe
for $35,000. To import it myself adds cost and hassle as well as risk
(i.e. Customs holding onto it for safe keeping). On the other hand I
live in Maine so any AFV bought domestically will likely have to make a
long and expensive x-country trip. Ironically it might be cheaper to
have something dropped off in Boston than it would brought up from Texas,
Colorado, Arizona, or some place like Iowa (seems that all the heavy
stuff is really far away!!). But in any case the difference when all is
said and done will still be HUGE in favor of moving over from Europe.

This means that even if I bought a slightly less than perfect example I
would still have roughly $35,000 still in my pocket to pay for parts and
restoration help. I can keep ahold of this wad of cash and dole it out
as needed. And who is to say the one I buy here in the US doesn't have a
HUGE mechanical failure (either because of me or bad luck) within the
first year? Now I am out $80,000 and need a several thousand dollar
"part". I'd rather have the $35,000 lying around to cover this :-)

Just saying that there are pros and cons to each arrangement. Which way
is better depends on the individual and the vehicle in question I guess.
 It sounds like for this guy the pro of less money up front outweighs
money saved long term.

Steve