Re: [MV] Halftrack Weight

From: Dave Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Sat Jan 11 2003 - 10:34:37 PST

That should not be a problem at all if you have the right trailer and hitch.

I would not try that with a traditional trailer - lunette or ball hitch trailer. You really *need* to use a gooseneck or fifth wheel hitch trailer with good brakes.
Don't even think about doing a long tow this way without good trailer brakes.

I used a gooseneck trailer rated at 30K lbs and my 78 chevy one ton dually with a 454/ 4 speed - 4:10 axle to move my M51 dump (about 25K lbs with stuff
in the bed) 250 miles to my house. I rented the trailer for $75/day. (damn cheap IMO) That is about the limit of my truck. I had to climb a couple of really
steep hills in Wisconsin and the 454 was really working hard. Gas mileage was right at 5 mpg loaded. So bring your credit card and make sure you have
sufficient tankage. I had no problem going 60 mph on the flat and I could easily maintain at least 50 mph on even the steepest Interstate hill.

Dave