Refined Question on M151A1 Starter Problem

From: Tony Castagno (tonycastagno@verticalthought.com)
Date: Sun Jan 12 2003 - 08:33:49 PST

Hello List,

Thanks so much for the replies I've received so far. I've been told not
to jump too quickly thinking that my starter is bad and to first check
the batteries with a load tester. This sounds like good advice
thanks... My one question is why would the gauges not work even when I
was not pushing the starter switch (on the floor) but when I
disconnected the starter wire from the starter, my gauges and lights
came back on. Is this pointing me to the floor starting switch? One
other clue, right when this problem first happened I push started the
jeep to start it but was on a fairly steep side slope, this caused the
gas to move to the side of the tank and let the engine stop while the
ignition was still on. I heard a whirring electric motor noise which
stopped when I turned off the power switch... could it be that my
starter was turning the whole time and that the starter switch is bad
and always engaged explaining why even without pushing the starter
switch the lights would not come on until physically disconnecting the
starter itself? A mechanic friend of mine who works on civvy cars said
that on civvy cars there is a solenoid that closes a secondary circuit
for the starter so the full amps don't have to go through the starter
switch it goes straight from the batteries... do M151's have such a
setup? Thanks again for all the help trouble shooting this problem....
I think the batteries may have a problem but I think there is another
problem lurking as well... thanks in advance for any more feedback...

Thanks,
Tony