Other M44 series "Learned" driving tips...

From: Ronzo (rojoha@attbi.com)
Date: Sun Jan 12 2003 - 15:29:25 PST

    For the newbie M35 series owners, how about folks posting there lessons
learned through experience or from old hands? Ya don't stop learning until
ya get put down for the long dirt nap.

    First one I was told about was to make sure my thumbs were always
pointed at the sky when holding the steering wheel since that bad boy will
almost tear them off if you blow a tire or are driving off road and hit a
tree stump or large rock.

    Another was to let the clutch ALL the way out as soon as it starts to
grab....slipping in any gear other than 1st is a BIG no no, and even that
ain't a good idea. Torque is your friend, Mister Stinky Clutch Lining ain't.

    As Dr. Deuce is fond of stating, if you loose your brakes and decide to
use the Parking Brake, pull with all your might the 1st time, since being
gentle with it won't get you anywhere other than an out of body experience
and a possible court appearance for manslaughter.

    Also to drain the air tanks at the end of each day of use, regardless of
what you got out of them the previous day. "Cause what happened yesterday is
behind you, and today is in front of you, and you want to keep what's in
front of you out from under you".... this from the 'Sarge in Charge' (SiC)
of the DRCS motor pool we used to draw equipment from at 'summer camp'.

    Let the font of shared knowledge from this list pour forth...