Re: [MV] moving armor by rail today

From: Joe Foley (redmenaced@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jan 12 2003 - 15:53:02 PST

--- Jon Shoop <shoop19@brick.net> wrote:
> I think rail is too expensive.....
>
> I can hire a flat bed here in the midwest for $1.40
> a mile..............it
> could very easily haul 2 bren carriers and some.
>
> And the equpment is shipped directly......not on a
> long about route like a
> typical train would take.
>
> I am talking hours..not days or weeks...
++++++++++
For the most part you are probably right, but recently
there have been several small rail companies that have
taken over some of the short lines that the bigger
companies have abandoned, especially in the East.
They are stressing customer service and are probably
what you're looking for, but they are SHORT lines and
may only operate in one state.

Check here for some interesting reading:

http://www.lalrr.com/history.html

These guys are doing BIG business in an area that had
lost most of its rail service and are actually
profitable!

Joe