Re: Deuce high/low split shifting

From: Richard & Matt Tait (rtait@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Jan 12 2003 - 21:49:01 PST

Listers,
I have been using the high/low shifting method in a number of deuces and five tons since being taught this trick a few years ago. Here's how I do it: start out in low range second gear (low range first gear is too low for anything but the heaviest loads). Shift through the gears all the way to fifth, low. Reach down and shift the transfer case into high and drop the transmission into fourth. If you continue above about 44 MPH, shift into fifth high.

Note that there is still a large gap between fifth low and fourth high, but it is not as big as the jump between third high and fourth high.

For regular driving of a good running turbo deuce, this may be unnecessary. I always start out in first when I am only driving in high range but I "short shift" at about 2000-2200 RPM in first gear. If you wind first high all the way up to 2600 RPM, you will find that it is hard to shift out of that gear. Also, you are dealing with a lot of torque and I have always been worried about breaking something.

The high/low split shifting technique works great with a heavy load. I used it all the time in my friend's M816 wrecker. That thing weighed 35,000 pounds empty and much more with the stuff we usually carried around with us.

Another deuce trick: In a residential neighborhood, a windy mountain road, or any other situation where you won't be going over 25 MPH for an extended period of time, just cruise around in low range, second through fifth.

Matt Tait
Fullerton, CA