Re: [MV] Ebay Items disappear

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Thu Jan 16 2003 - 15:15:21 PST

It is one thing to not understand why someone would want to collect such
a thing, it is another to support banning their option to do so. And who
is to say what should be banned or not? You say you think it is OK to
collect, display, and enjoy the vehicles of the most murderous regime of
the 20th Century, but not the uniforms? I think you are simply using
selective morality (i.e. you like German vehicles so you exempt them from
the same standards you apply to German uniforms). The problem is that
such selective reasoning leads, step by step, to broader censorship.

Interestingly enough, I went to a private collection museum yesterday.
 Lots of rare stuff, including one of Hitler's SA uniforms and some mint
condition early SS (black) uniforms. These were displayed in their
historical context, right next to a Buchenwald concentration camp
inmate's uniform (political prisoner, Belgium) and lots of stuff from
concentration camps. The "power" of these "evil" uniforms hits you much
more between the eyes than a fuzzy black and white 2x2" photo in a school
text book. But eBay wouldn't care if this guy was looking to add to his
excellent museum *or* was interested in prancing around in it at a Neo
Nazi rally. I find that to be rather stupid. Stopping a Neo Nazi from
getting a $5000 uniform on eBay won't make the world a better place.

Sensitivity towards others can not, and should not, be regulated.
 Everybody has their own list of "beefs", and if all these were treated
equally society would cease to exist. I'm not saying that Dave's
comments DIRECTLY advocate censorship, but the ambivalence it displays
towards the rights of others is EXACTLY how censorship takes root.

Steve