RE: [MV] Ebay Items disappear

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Thu Jan 16 2003 - 18:40:17 PST

I'll take back that 15,000,000 I came up with off the top of my head
figure now :-)

I just looked up some decent stats, but probably not the best (there are
no really good stats), and here they are:

Germans were responsible for the following civilians deaths (including Jews):

  6,700,000 Soviets
     12,000 Belgian
     60,000 British
    215,000 Czechs and Slovaks
      1,000 Danes
    470,000 French
    415,000 Greeks
    300,000 Germans (killed by Nazis, not Allies)
    300,000 Hungarians (rough and excluding domestic murders)
     60,000 Italians (rough and excludes domestic murders)
    150,000 Dutch (some killed by Japanese)
      3,800 Norwegians
  5,300,000 Poles
    240,000 Romanians (rough and excludes domestic murders)
  1,700,000 Yugoslavs (includes Partisans)
-------------
 15,926,800 Civilains Total

The Germans also killed millions of POWs through starvation and brutality:

  5,400,000 Soviets
          ? POWs of other nations (probably several tens of thousands)

If one belives that wars of aggression are illegal, then so too are the
military casualties they cause. In that case, Nazi Germany was further
responsible for:

 11,000,000 Soviets (excluding POWs)
     50,000 Poles (rough and excluding Soviet casused casualties)
      2,890 Dutch
      2,000 Norwegians
      7,500 Belgians
    142,000 French
    130,000 British (rough and excluding Italian casused casualties)
     10,000 Greeks (rough and excluding Italian casused casualties)
     18,000 Commonwealth (rough and excluding Italian casused casualties)
    160,000 Americans (rough and exclusing Italian casused casualties)
 11,522,390 total Combatants killed

Adding up all three figures the Germans were directly responsible for the
deaths of:

 32,849,190 Persons

Even if you exclude military casualties caused by German initiated
invasions, the Soviets still play second fiddle to the Germans in terms
of body count.

Steve