Re: [MV] Ebay Items disappear

From: Ryan M Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Jan 17 2003 - 13:11:37 PST

At 12:20 PM -0800 1/17/03, Dave Ball wrote:
>I do not think there was much use for Tanks in Japan and towards the end we
>had fire bombed so much of Japan with the B29's that I do not think they
>were able to build much. I think the fire bombing was much worse than the
>Two atomic Bombs but we do not remember these raids as well as the Atomic
>blasts which were small in comparison.

Japan no. In China, yes. Quite a bit of use and space for them. The
same could be said for parts of the Phillipines and some of the
larger islands the Japanese held. Massive tank formations like the
Germans? No.

As I understand it there were cities that were largely untouched by
the strategic bombing being held essentially in reserve as targets.
Kokura (now part of the larger city of Kitakyushu) was scheduled as
the target for the bomb dropped on Nagasaki, but diverted to Nagasaki
due to clouds over Kokura. This made for an interesting realization
of "what if" when I visited Japan and lived in Kitakyushu for a time
as a bushy tailed American 16 year old (who was still proud of his
grandfathers USAAF service history). The visit to Nagasaki was quite
an emotional experience and left me rather contemplative about war in
general, yet understanding that sometimes there is no other option.

--
--
- Ryan Montieth Gill                         '01 Honda Insight -