Re: [MV] Split Rim Wheels question

From: Wayne Harris (papercu@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jan 19 2003 - 09:24:53 PST

Go to your favorite search engine (Google is great)type in "split rim" and
then stand back as all the info explode into your 'puter. Now for my
experience with a split rim. Back in the early '70 I had a job at a one man
gas station and a 16" split rim came in to be repaired. All I had was old
manual type tire changer that bolted to a concrete slab. I changed it
without too much trouble but could not get the bead to seat so I soaped it
up good and poured the air to it. I checked it just before it blew and it
was over 60lbs and the bead was still not seated so I added more air then
she blew! I was standing over the rim with both thumbs resting on the tire
it sprained both thumbs, broke my glasses in the middle,cut my forehead and
left my chest and arms numb for a week, the whole tire changer came out of
the concrete and went about 5 foot in the air but missing me on the way
down. Now when I need one fixed it WILL go to tire store. Wayne