Re: [MV] tank questions

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 10:45:10 PST

At 4:05 AM -0500 1/20/03, Steve Grammont wrote:
>Hello again Ryan,
>
>>Well, the M40 GMC carries a 155mm Gun. Not a howitzer.
>
>Damn! Forgot about the M40 and its successor (M41?). There are probably
>some others post war that I forgot about.

Yeah, but we're talking WWII.

>>Don't forget that a Gun/Howitzer/Mortar is differentiated by it's
>>barrel length/range/muzzle-V. With guns being longer, farther, faster
>>and mortars being shortest, closest, slowest for a common caliber.
>>Howitzers sit in the middle.
>
>Size doesn't matter :-) Caliber, range, and rate of fire are all
>incidental factors specific to the weapon design, not its designation.
> The difference is that a Howitzer is low velocity, arced trajectory.
> Guns are high velocity, flat trajectory. This is why the designation is
>so very important. In WWII most nations had Gun and Howitzers of the
>same exact caliber, like 75mm, 76.2mm, and 122mm. Mortars are low
>velocity, arced trajectory, fin stabilized. Generally their caliber was
>different from Howitzers or Guns (except Germans had 50mm Mortars and Guns).

Well, don't forget, that barrel length affects muzzle velocity. The
trajectory is a function of the speed of the projectile. Typically.
But, there were Howitzers, guns and mortars that were all fired in
direct fire roles at low angle. The guns had the longest range
naturally.

--
--
Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                   |         -==----
   |s|\        /|s|   |s|/BSV 575\|s|   |x|-\|     |/-|x|
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/2)