Re: [MV] England, United Kingdom or Great Britain

From: micdunn (micdunn@ev1.net)
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 06:37:18 PST

The proper name for England is England. It occupies about 3/4 of an island
mass. The other 1/4 is occupied by two countries named Scotland and Wales.
All 3 of these countries have their own flags, customs and idiosyncrasies,
however the central government is in London. It is called the British
Government. The British government rules Great Britain which includes the 3
countries above plus Northern Ireland. It absolutely does not include
Ireland (the south). Great Britain also includes Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney,
Sark, the Scillies, the Isle of Man plus many other islands. The United
Kingdom includes all of Great Britain plus any land on the planet that is
still a Crown Protectorate(governed by Great Britain). Right now I can only
think of the Falklands (Malvinas), the Azores and Diego Garcia. I am sure
there are many more but my brain is pretty slow this morning. A list of
countries that used to be in the United Kingdom is much longer than those
that still are. Examples are: Hong Kong, South Africa, India, Australia,
Canada and of course, the United States.
There endeth the history lesson....
I am certain that I have made some errors, but to the best of my
knowledge...blah blah blah
-Sarge
PS. Ex Royal Marine, Ex USAF
PPS. Lived many years in GB, USA, FRG, Saudi Arabia and Abu Dhabi.