Re: [MV] starter armature question

From: Steve & Jeanne Keith (cckw@attbi.com)
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 11:01:27 PST

Kind of a broad question! We need to know what make of vehicle you are
talking about or brand of starter.

For GM in the US during the WW2 and 50's period which are mouting
interchangeable:

The 6v has a larger diameter shaft
The 12v has a smaller diameter pinion gear

Naturally, the windings and overall resistance are about 2 to 1 different.

With WW2 US GM 6v starters, I have run them on 12v for over 20 years!

Steve AKA Dr Deuce