Re: [MV] Pyrometer for M35

From: Everette (194cbteng@pchnet.com)
Date: Sun Jan 26 2003 - 11:37:28 PST

I can tell you what "ole country boys" say

Test has to do with whether or not you are flowing too much fuel through
engine. Too much fuel at one point will make exhaust manifold temp too
hot - proper test is done at several points on manifold because you can have
one injector messing up.

Further I have been told that you can get so much fuel flow that engine will
not be able to burn it at all and manifold will be much too hot all over.
This erodes manifold, can burn holes in pistons, overheat engine - least of
which greatly reduces fuel mileage.

I have also been told that the opposite can be true, I sure do not
understand but have been told (yes I do a lot of listening) that too little
fuel can also cause overheating problems under certain circumstances, more
commonly causes loss of power.

We can go a step farther and recommend that gas engines also have exhaust
manifold temp monitored. Bad timing can cause overheating of exhaust. I
once drove an M37 about 8 miles with timing off and manifold was cherry red
all the way to exhaust pipe and engine water was hot.

Everette

As the old cowboys say - Mind where you step......